Our client, is a vertically integrated diversified group of companies that is currently looking for an HR & Health and Safety Coordinator to join our growing team!
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the HR & Health, and Safety Coordinator will be responsible to implement the corporate HR and H&S programs.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Health and Safety
- Responsible for the creation and implementation of a health and safety management system that meets the Ontario Certificate of Recognition (COR) standard.
- Train workers, supervisors, management, visitors and sub-contractors on their various roles and responsibilities under applicable legislation (i.e., WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, etc.).
- Collect, review and analyze safety data (leading and lagging indicators) using a variety of tools (i.e., Excel, SiteDocs, WSIB Compass, etc.) and create and present a variety of reports using said data to present to all stakeholders.
- Maintain online databases.
- Act as a member of the Joint Health and Safety Committee and ensure committee members are trained and are meeting as required.
- Responsible for creating, reviewing, implementing, and monitoring health and safety policies, hazard assessments, practices, and procedures.
- Research, receive and review quotes and procure products as required (i.e., fire extinguishers, first aid supplies, PPE, etc.).
- Create site emergency plans based on the potential emergencies specific to said sites.
- Conduct facility and field inspections and report on corrective actions.
- Ensure that corrective actions are taken, recorded and their effectiveness evaluated.
- Conduct thorough and timely investigations of all incidents and near misses including recommending, implementing, and evaluating the effectiveness of corrective actions.
- Report all work-related injuries to WSIB and facilitate the return-to-work process as required.
- Create and document workplace violence and harassment risk assessments.
- Conduct full-cycle recruiting from creating and posting jobs to interviewing and hiring new employees.
- Deliver new hire orientations.
- Streamline and make improvement recommendations for various HR-related functions, processes, and procedures.
- Coordinate and deliver corporate HR services - such as benefits, RRSPs, and Job Letters – and provide communication and training to management and staff related to HR programs and services.
- Resolve employee conflicts, Human Rights and Employment Standards complaints.
- Assist Operations and Fleet with a variety of tasks, including CVOR analysis and permits.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- 3-5 years of HSE and HR-related experience.
- Post Secondary Degree/Diploma – focus in Health & Safety, Human Resources or equivalent.
- Construction Safety designation (i.e., CSO or NCSO) or equivalent experience.
- COR Internal Auditor certification from the IHSA or the availability and willingness to complete the required training.
- Experience with the Ontario COR accreditation process.
- In-depth knowledge of the Ontario COR process.
- In-depth knowledge of applicable Federal, Provincial and Local Acts, Regulations, and Codes of Practice.
- In-depth knowledge of all CVOR requirements such as logbooks, hours of service, cargo securement, trip inspections, pre-trip inspections, etc.
- Knowledge of the road construction industry.
- A valid Ontario “G” driver's license.
- JHSC Part 1 and 2 certifications considered an asset.
- CRST or CRSP designation considered an asset.
- The ability to create and deliver training programs that aligned with Corporate training goals.
- The ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organization, communication, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to meet changing deadlines and make complex decisions.
- A professional attitude and demeanor.
- The ability to use technology including computers and computer software (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel) as well as the ability to learn new and company-specific computer programs.